Students must contact the Office of the Registrar to cancel their Planned Leave. Students who cancel their Planned Leave late in the registration cycle may face additional challenges getting reinstated on short notice. For example, availability of courses, financial aid, and campus/local housing all may be impacted by a last minute decision to remain at CSU rather than taking Planned Leave.
Requesting or Cancelling Planned Leave
The University encourages each student to develop a plan for returning and completing their degree. The following expectations of the Planned Leave request process are designed to support these purposes.
To request a Planned Leave, students are expected to:
- Meet with an Academic Support Coordinator/Academic Advisor to review the general education and major requirements that need to be fulfilled upon return. The key advisor for the department may have some suggestions for allowing a student to continue their course of study without taking Planned Leave (e.g. taking courses though CSU Online or seeking assistance from other campus or community resources).
- Meet with current instructors/departments immediately to address any incomplete grades or questions and concerns about course work in progress the student is expected to complete prior to taking Planned Leave.
- Meet with the Office of Financial Aid to resolve any current, outstanding balances and to discuss eligibility for loans, grants, scholarships (including Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)). and/or student employee/work study upon return.
- Meet with Housing and Dining Services regarding the housing contract (if applicable).
- Log into RAMweb and follow the “Planned Leave” link under the Registration heading.
The deadline to request Planned Leave is 12:00 PM MST (Noon) on the Thursday prior to the start of classes.
- Students cannot be simultaneously enrolled in courses AND taking Planned Leave.
- Students may not graduate in their Planned Leave term. Students requesting Planned Leave must update their Intent to Graduate record via Registration Ready in RAMweb or by calling the Office of the Registrar to a term beyond their requested Planned Leave term.
- Planned Leave can be requested one semester prior to the Planned Leave term.
- Planned Leave is not necessary to be absent for the summer in between regular spring and fall semesters.
- Taking Planned Leave may set into motion other consequences that could delay a student’s progress towards graduation.
Uncertain about taking Planned Leave?
Students who are uncertain whether they want to use the Planned Leave option are encouraged to register for courses during their normal registration window to create a “best case scenario” for courses during the semester in question. If it becomes clear the Planned Leave is necessary/desirable, students will be prompted to drop their courses before they can complete the Planned Leave request in RAMweb.