Address Changes

  1. Log onto RAMweb
  2. Select “Manage My Student Record”
  3. Select “Change My Address”
  4. Once you are redirected, choose either Mailing Address or Local Address
  5. Fill in the blanks for your new address and then click “Validate”
  6. It will return to ask you to select one of the addresses listed or click on “Submit”

Phone Changes

You may update your Telephone Number or your Billing Telephone Number through the “Change My Telephone” link on RAMweb or RAMrecords.

Legal Name (including Last Name), Social Security Number, Legal Gender or Sex Marker, and/or Date of Birth Changes

  1. Log onto RAMweb or RAMrecords
  2. Select the “Manage My Student Records” link under the Records section
  3. On the next page, select “Legal Name,” “Social Security Number,”Legal Gender or Sex Marker,” or “Date of Birth,” depending on what you would like to change.
  4. Complete the online form and upload the required documentation through the secure document upload.


In keeping with CSU’s Principles of Community, we recognize the value of sharing one’s pronouns to reflect how we want to be respected in our identities. For more information on Pronouns at Colorado State University, visit CSU’s Pronouns website

Students can add or change their pronouns tied to their student record in RAMweb. It is always optional for you to share your pronouns through RAMweb. This will update pronouns in several systems, processes, and reports across campus. However, the pronouns entered on RAMweb will not add or change pronouns that may have been designated through Canvas for exclusive use in the classroom. The addition of pronouns into CSU’s systems continues to evolve, and while not considered highly sensitive data, are only available to authorized school officials with legitimate educational interest (e.g., staff, advisors, etc.). Pronouns will not be released to third party contacts in the Office of the Registrar unless you have provided explicit consent.  

Areas and reports where the pronouns entered on RAMweb may appear are as follows: 

  • Your student record in the ARIESweb Faculty/Staff portal
  • Class Rosters (separate from Canvas pronoun entries)
  • Reports available to academic and administrative departments you may work with
  • Other campus departments may ask you for your pronouns separately if their systems are not connected to the central CSU Student Information System

Gender Identity

An individual’s gender identity is their basic self-conviction of being a man, woman, a blend, or neither. In other words, it is who someone knows themselves to be, rather than how they were assigned at birth. Your gender identity may or may not align with the sex noted on your legal documents, also known at Colorado State University as your Legal Gender or Sex Marker. While Legal Gender or Sex Marker is required for some University processes (for example, compliance with federal and state reporting), we recognize the value of being able to share your gender identity separately. It is always optional for you to share your gender identity with CSU. 

Students can add or change their gender identity tied to their student record in RAMweb.

The collection and use of gender identity data at CSU is a new and evolving process. Gender identity is considered protected under FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) at CSU. Access through university systems is restricted to university officials with legitimate educational interest and is only shared with third parties with explicit individual student consent. Gender identity responses are primarily used for aggregate reporting for the University to better understand the campus demographics. Reports that include an individual’s gender identity will be aimed at administrative departments, such as the Pride Resource Center, to appropriately support resources and programming. University officials continue analyzing systems and business processes that currently store and use legal gender or sex marker, and gender identity to determine appropriate and/or required use.

Preferred First Name

In keeping with CSU’s Principles of Community, we recognize students may choose to be known by a preferred first name other than their legal name. Preferred first names may be a middle name, anglicized name, one in alignment with a student’s gender identity, a professional name, or a nickname. 

Preferred first names are displayed alongside legal last name (surname) in University systems and records and are used to identify students in the classroom and other places on campus. The University makes every effort to have preferred first names appear throughout our systems, where possible, but your legal first name may be necessary for official University business.

Preferred First Name vs. Legal Name Usage

The table below outlines where to expect your preferred first name to be used and where to expect your legal name to be used. 

Area of CSU Preferred Name Legal Name *Exception
Official & Unofficial Academic Transcripts Yes
FAMweb Yes
Diploma * Yes *Students can provide a preferred name through Registration Ready as their graduation term approaches. Refer to the “Additional Preferred First Name Information” at the bottom of the page for more information.
Class Roster Yes Yes
CSU Directory Yes
Enrollment & Degree Verifications Yes
Billing, Financial Aid (including COF), & Collections Yes
Insurance Records Yes
Legal Housing Contracts Yes
Military & Veteran Services Yes
Passport Names for International Students Yes
NCAA Reports Yes
Advisee Rosters Yes Yes
Canvas Yes
Housing Yes
CSU Health Network Yes
NetID Yes
CSU Email System Yes *To change your first.last name email alias, log into the eID system, hover over “Modify Your eID,” and then select “Email Settings.”

About your Preferred First Name

After submitting a preferred first name in RAMweb, your preferred first name will be used in the following University processes:

For information on entering your preferred diploma name or changing your first.last name email alias, refer to the “Additional Preferred First Name Information” at the bottom of the page.

How to change your Preferred First Name

Visit RAMweb

  • Sign in with your NetID and NetID password
  • Select the Menu on the top right corner
  • Select “Records” on the right hand side, near the bottom
  • Choose “Manage Student Record”
  • Select “Preferred First Name”
  • Choose the “Edit” button on the top right corner of the box
  • Enter your preferred first name and submit

Preferred first names may not be obscene, offensive, or disruptive. The University reserves the right to remove a preferred first name if it contains this language. Please follow up with the Office of the Registrar upon notification that your preferred name has been removed to make further adjustments.

A preferred first name should:

  • Be free of special characters (ex: ‘!@%&()$*)
  • Start with a capital letter
  • Follow the guidelines listed above
  • Accurately represent how you want to be addressed on campus

You may need to make the following changes on campus regarding your Preferred First Name:


  • Email Alias: Change First.Last name email alias by logging into the NetID system, hovering over “Modify Your NetID,” and then selecting “Email Settings.”

Diploma Name:

  • As you approach graduation, one of your Registration Ready items in RAMweb will be entering your preferred diploma name. This will also be the name used in the Commencement Program. If you want your preferred first name to be used, you can enter it in the “First Name” field when completing this Registration Ready step. If there is no diploma name on file, we will default to and use your legal name.


  • RamCards will default to your legal name. Preferred first names may be added to your RamCard after your preferred name has been submitted via RAMweb.

To add your preferred first name to your RamCard:

  • Enter your preferred first name in RAMweb
  • Wait 3 business days for your preferred first name to take effect in University systems
  • Go to the RamCard Office to request that your preferred first name be added. Visit the RamCard site for additional details about getting your RamCard.