Academic Records & Registration
- Approved Planned Leave appears on the official CSU transcript and verifies the University granted a leave for one or two semesters. Any additional time away from CSU beyond Planned Leave is reflected as a gap in enrollment.
- Students on Planned Leave retain their current major(s), minor(s), and concentrations and are allowed to register during the registration period appropriate to their major/class level. Although students are not permitted to change their major while on Planned Leave, they can change their major upon their return by following the process outlined in the Returning from Planned Leave section.
- Students who have “stopped out” without taking Planned Leave lose their 2nd major(s), minor(s), and concentration(s) and register with other newly-admitted students, after all continuing students have registered.
- During their absence, students on Planned Leave continue to have access to their CSU email account and receive ongoing communication from the University.
- Students on Planned Leave may enroll at another U.S. post-secondary institution during their Planned Leave. Upon return to CSU, students must submit an official transcript to the Office of the Registrar for their academic work completed at any other two-year or four-year institution in order to have the work evaluated for credit. The transfer evaluation may take up to 30 business days and can impact a student’s major eligibility and/or class level.
Advising & Communication
During their absence, students on Planned Leave continue to have access to their CSU email account and other forms of communication and receive ongoing communication from their academic advisors and from the University. This communication may include advising announcements pertaining to registration, changes to curriculum, and special events.
Students who have “stopped out” without taking Planned Leave lose their CSU email access after one year and generally are not contacted by their academic advisors and the University.
Students who have changed their tuition classification (residency status) through the petitioning process will have to re-petition for in-state tuition classification upon return or will be classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes.
All students on an approved Planned Leave may be required to complete a Residency Affidavit upon return to CSU
For questions regarding impacts of Planned Leave on residency, contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Yellow Ribbon is based on Veterans Benefits eligibility; students considering Planned Leave should be in contact with the Veterans Educational Benefits Office to discuss the potential impact of Planned Leave.
Honorably discharged veterans being assessed in-state tuition through the GI Promise bill may be advised to submit a new GI Promise or do a Residency Petition depending upon the timing of their Planned Leave.