New Students participating in RAMwelcome. Students walking across the floor at Moby Arena

Campus Employment

Undergraduate students on Planned Leave are ineligible for work study employment due to the following employment requirements:

  • To maintain eligibility for work-study, an undergraduate work-study student employee must be enrolled for at least six credits a term. The student must be registered by the census date for each term. Census dates can be found on the University Academic Calendar.
  • To maintain eligibility for student hourly employment, an undergraduate student must be enrolled as a regular certificate/degree-seeking student at CSU, carrying at least one credit per term during the academic year, or be approved for Planned Leave for the semester. The student must be registered for the classes by the census date for each term or Undergraduate Planned Leave by the Thursday before classes begin.

For questions regarding impacts of Planned Leave on campus employment, refer to the Career Center.


Students on Planned Leave should update their intended graduation term through Registration Ready when they return from Planned Leave. They retain all graduation requirements tied to their majors, minors, and concentrations.

Students who have “stopped out” also must update their intended graduation term in Registration Ready when they return, but they may be held to new major, minor or concentration requirements upon return. The academic department can choose how to accommodate gaps in enrollment into graduation requirements (i.e. whether to “grandfather” requirements to aid a student’s degree completion).

Student walking across the stage at graduation celebrating their accomplishment
Three students walking to the Louvre

International Students (F1, J1 Visa Types)

Due to federal visa requirements, international students MUST discuss their options for Planned Leave with the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) to determine the impact of the Planned Leave on their immigration status.

All international students must be enrolled in a full course of study while in the United States.

NCAA D1 Athletes

Students participating in NCAA Division 1 sports must have the approval of the Compliance Office before taking Planned Leave.

Students participating in any of CSU’s competitive, intercollegiate (intramural) sport club programs are eligible for Planned Leave according to the general requirements and do not need the permission of the Department of Athletics.

A CSU football player handing something to a fan in the stands