Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option

Students who earn a C or above may request to have a letter grade changed to “S,” which reflects a C or better. D or F letter grades would be reflected by a “U.” “S” grades contribute to credit hours but not GPA. “U” grades will neither contribute to credit hours earned nor to the GPA. Traditional (A-F) grading will be used for all courses not selected for the S/U option. The university urges students to consult with the Office of Financial Aid and their academic advisors prior to withdrawing from courses or changing their grading option for eligible courses to fully understand how the choice will impact their individual situation.

Please note:

  • The S/U option will be available to all Undergraduate and DVM students.
  • Students are encouraged to work with the Office of Financial Aid to determine if an S or U grade will impact their financial aid.
  • Students should check rules for their scholarships prior to making a decision.
  • Students who are currently on Academic Probation should work closely with their academic advisor, academic success coordinator, or faculty advisor before selecting an S/U option.
  • Students using the GI Bill should email the Veterans Education Benefits Office to determine if there will be an associated financial impact before choosing the Unsatisfactory grade option.
  • Students should not use S/U grading for a capstone course.
  • Students must fully understand controlled majors will not accept an S in place of a letter grade.

All students should consult with their academic advisor, academic success coordinator, and/or faculty advisor before deciding to request a change from traditional grading. By requesting S/U grading, students are indicating they understand the potential consequences. These may include impact on:

  • Courses that require a grade based on a professional standard/accreditation requirements (teaching, engineering, etc.)
  • Impact on GPA for students on academic probation.
  • Impact on graduate/professional school applications
  • Scholarship implications if a minimum of graded coursework is required.
  • Overall cost of education. Selecting a U instead of a D in a class means the D won’t be averaged into your GPA, but you will also lose the academic credit earned by a D. Close consultation with your advisor is recommended.

How to Request S/U Grading

Once in RAMweb, select “Records” and then “Grades.” If an eligible semester is selected from the dropdown, a special button called, “Select Course(s) for S/U” will appear.

Image showing the special "Select Course(s) for S/U" Button

After selecting the “Select Course(s) for S/U” button, a page with important information regarding S/U will appear. Students will select “Request Grades Adjustment” to access a the screen where they can request S/U grades for eligible classes. There will be no action buttons for ineligible classes.

Once the S/U grade is requested, the button will change to “Cancel” so students can cancel their request if they change their mind.

Once the grade change has been processed, students will see “S” or “U” under the “Grade” column, and buttons will disappear for that row.

For Summer 2021 S/U grading, students will be able to request an S/U grade as soon as their grade has been entered. However, it will not be processed until August 16, 2021. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Colorado State University provided students the option to elect to have their earned letter grade be changes to an ‘S’ or a ‘U’ for the Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 terms. 

We want you to be able to make an informed decision. After grades are entered by instructors, we will open the link to students in RAMweb. This allows you to see the traditional A through F grade entered by your instructor so you can decide if you want to retain it.

Students using financial aid are highly encouraged to submit their Spring 2021 S/U grade requests by May 23, 2021, and their Summer 2021 S/U grade requests by August 15, 2021. Missing this deadline may impact your financial aid disbursement. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for questions regarding S/U selection. 

In RAMweb, navigate to the Menu and select Records. Select the Grades link. Select the term you are interested in. A button labeled “Select Course(s) for S/U”  should be available, allowing you to see your courses for the term and allow you to make your request for S/U grading per course. 

Only Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 are available for the S/U grade option in RAMweb. If you would like to inquire about changing a Spring 2020 or Fall 2020 grade to the S/U option, email the Office of the Registrar from your CSU email account. In the email, include your CSUID#, and specific course(s) (Subject and Course Number) with your request.

At Colorado State University, an S grade represents a C or higher grade, while a U grade represents a D or F grade. Neither S nor U grades are used in calculating the CSU grade point average. To learn more about S/U grading, refer to the grading section in CSU’s catalog.

It is best to consult with your academic advisor, academic success coordinator, or faculty advisor to determine which might be best for you.  Students deciding to withdrawal from an individual course will have that course appear on their transcript with a grade of ‘W’. This course will not apply to your GPA or fulfill degree requirements. Students earning a letter grade of a ‘D’ or ‘F’ can select a ‘U’ grade for Spring ’20, Fall ‘20, Spring ‘21, and Summer ’21. The U grade will be reflected on your transcript, the course will be removed from GPA calculations and will not fulfill degree requirements.

Yes. You may select which eligible courses this will apply to for the Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 terms. If you do not make a selection, the traditional A though F grade will be retained as entered by your instructor.

No, but it is strongly encouraged to discuss this with them in advance. It is best to contact them as early as possible to ensure response prior to the S/U selection deadline.

Discuss any questions you may have with your academic advisor, academic success coordinator, and/or faculty advisor. Some departments may send out important information about the courses they do not recommend for the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading option. Review those messages before making your decision.

Be patient as we work through requests and update your record. You may check your Unofficial Transcript in RAMweb to verify all changes have been updated.

Contact your instructor regarding any missing grades. The original grade must be entered by the instructor and be present on your RAMweb Grades page before you can select if you want the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade option.

On the Grades page where you originally selected the S/U grading option, there is a “Cancel” button for any pending Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory selections. Select “Cancel,” and the posted grade you see will be retained.

If you do not see a “Cancel” button, the S/U grade request has already been processed. If you would like to reverse this request, email the Office of the Registrar from your CSU email account. In the email, include your CSUID and specific course(s) (Subject and Course Number) for which you wish to cancel your Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading option.

Yes. You will need to email the Office of the Registrar from your CSU email account. Be sure to include your CSUID# and the specific course(s) you would like changed to your original letter grade.

Students selecting S or U will have a comment appear on their transcript for every term they’ve selected the S/U grading option. For example, students choosing the S/U option for any of their courses for Spring 2021 will have a comment stating “SP21 S/U grades – COVID-19 pandemic.”

If, after spring grades have posted, you are seeing an Academic Standing of “dismissed” and are unsure if your academic status will change, submit a Scholastic Standards appeal by June 1 at 12:00PM MT. If you earn a 2.0 cumulative GPA after S/U grades have been calculated, your appeal will not need to be considered. Contact the Collaborative for Student Achievement, (970) 491-7095, if you have any questions.

Students enrolled in summer classes are not negatively affected by moving forward in the probation process based on summer grades. Only fall and spring terms are included in the probation timeline.

Summer grades are calculated into a student’s cumulative GPA and can help a student return to good academic standing but will not advance them in the probation process. We encourage you to speak with your academic advisor about S/U grade options and impact to your GPA and overall academic standing.

Based on the grading scale, a grade of A or A+ offers the most grade points per credit at 4.000. This means that keeping your A or A+ grade can only help support your GPA.

The request button could say “Not Eligible” for two reasons:

  1. The grade could be an A or A+. These grades are not eligible as the grade can only benefit your GPA.
  2. There may have been specific conditions with the original grade that was assigned by your instructor. We encourage you to reach out to your instructor if you have questions about this original grade.