Undergraduate Students

Once you have earned 85 or more hours you will be prompted to answer questions in your Registration Ready process regarding your anticipated graduation date. Be sure to read through these questions, and verify the correct graduation term is entered.

If you have already completed the Registration Ready process for the term and need to change the date entered please contact the Office of the Registrar via email: degreeoffice@colostate.edu, phone: (970)491-4860, or in person in Centennial Hall.

  1. In the term you are going to graduate (complete all your degree requirements) you should meet with your advisor/department to review your Degree Progress Audit (DARS) and sign your Contract for Completion of Major/Minor. If you are signing a Contract for Completion of Major/Minor in any given semester, and you are planning on registering for a course(s) in a future term you may encounter unintended consequences once your degree is conferred. Please refer to the Contract for Completion of Major/Minor website for additional information.
  2. Departmental curriculum requirements are checked by the department head of the first major, second majors, minors, and/or certificates. Requests for waivers or substitutions for departmental requirements must be approved by the advisor and department head.  Be sure to check the top of your degree audit (the University Requirements) to ensure that you are not missing any other requirements for graduation (i.e. 120 credits, 42 upper division, 30 credits in residence and 15 of the last 30 credits at CSU.
  3. Requests for waivers or substitutions of Graduation Requirements or the All-University Core Curriculum must be submitted on an appeal found through the Registrar’s Forms webpage: the University Graduation Requirement Appeal Form or the Appeal for a Core Course Substitution Form . This form must be signed by the advisor and department head. Once you have a completed form it may be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing. NOTE: Once a completed form is received in the Office of the Registrar it can take approximately 3 – 4 weeks for a response.

If you are planning on transferring in coursework from another post-secondary institution in order to meet the requirements for degree completion you should contact the Degree & Transfer Evaluation unit for assistance (970-491-4860). It is very important that all grades/transcripts are received by the end of the 4th week after the semester has ended. If grades/transcripts are not received within this timeframe you will experience a delay regarding the formal posting of your official graduation for that semester as well as delays printing your diploma.

Please Note: If you’re a Fresh Start student returning to CSU, please see the Admissions website for pertinent information.

Graduate Students

Follow the Steps to Student Degree on the Graduate School website as a general guideline of what to expect, and discuss your program and graduation requirements with your department. It is important to note that departments and programs may require additional items in order for successful completion of the degree.

The GS25: Application for Graduation Form is submitted to the Graduate School by the deadline date, as outlined on the Graduate School website, of the semester that you intend to complete your degree requirements.

Your Degree

Degree conferral only occurs three times each year, after the conclusion of the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. The conferral date is the date which will be posted on the official transcript and the diploma. This is the date when the degree is considered officially awarded. A degree is a credential. There are three documents that provide evidence of that credential: an official transcript, a diploma, and a formal letter of completion from the Office of the Registrar.

For additional information on the types of degrees you can obtain, see the Degree Options portion of our website.


See the commencement portion of our website for more details.

Your Diploma

See the diploma portion of our website for more details.