The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 sets forth requirements regarding the release of and access to student records.
Under FERPA, Educational Records are defined as records that are directly related to a student and are maintained by an educational agency/institution or by a party acting for the agency/institution.
- FERPA gives students the right to:
- Inspect and review their records.
- Request to amend their records.
- Limit disclosure of public/directory information.
- And also requires students to give their permission to release private information.
Public or directory information may be released upon request, and includes:
- Student name
- Current mailing address
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
- Major field of study
- Classification level (freshman, sophomore, etc.)
- Dates of attendance
- Current or previous enrollment status
- Anticipated date/term of graduation and expected degree(s)
- Honors and degrees awarded
- Participation in official recognized activities and sports
- Height and weight of athletic team members
- Video and photographic images of students with the exception of the official CSU identification photograph.
Students may choose what directory information is displayed in the printed and online CSU directories through RAMweb. Once they log in they should click on the “Manage My Student Record” link under the Records heading, then the “Change my Directory Preferences” link.
Students may also request complete confidentiality of their directory information by completing the Confidentiality of Directory Information Form. This form can also be used to remove the full confidentiality of their directory information. For more information about implications of having this confidentiality added to a student’s record, please review the Confidentiality of Directory Information Form.
Under FERPA the following information is considered to be private information:
- CSU ID number
- Social Security Number
- Class schedule
- Class rank
- Birth date
- And place of birth.
Private information may only be released with the student’s permission.
Students can give permission for private information to be released in two ways using the Student Permission to Release Academic Records Form:
- Students can grant permission to release any available academic records related to academic advising (e.g., grades, academic standing, etc.) that the University maintains to a named recipient for one academic year
- If a student chooses this option they need to submit the completed form to their academic advisor.
- Students can grant permission for the release of one specific document (e.g., transcript) to a named recipient.
- If a student chooses this option they need to submit the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.
Students can provide access to FAMweb so that parents can log into see information that the student has chosen to provide to them. If the information needed is not available through FAMweb, parents should ask their student to provide the Student Permission to Release Academic Records Form. If the student is unwilling or unable to provide this document, parents can request a Parent Affidavit and Request for Student Academic Information Form if they carry the student as a legal dependent on their most recent Federal Income Tax filing. To ask more about this form or to obtain a blank copy, please email the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.